Original Research

The Dutch Reformed Church Mission in Swaziland - A dream come true

Arnau van Wyngaard
HTS Teologiese Studies / Theological Studies | Vol 74, No 1 | a4785 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.4102/hts.v74i1.4785 | © 2018 | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 21 August 2017 | Published: 27 February 2018

About the author(s)

Arnau van Wyngaard, Department of Science of Religion and Missiology, Faculty of Theology and Religion, University of Pretoria, South Africa

Abstract

This article covers the time from 1652 onwards when employees of the Dutch East India Company – most of whom were members of the Reformed Church in the Netherlands – arrived at the Cape of Good Hope in present South Africa. With time, a new church, the Dutch Reformed Church, was established in the Cape. In 1836, a number of pioneers moved from the Cape to the east of South Africa and some of them eventually made Swaziland their new home. Although most members of the white Dutch Reformed Church opposed any integration with Christians from other races, there was nevertheless a desire that they should join a Reformed Church. In 1922, the first Dutch Reformed congregation in Swaziland was established in Goedgegun in the southern region of the country, intended for the exclusive use of white, Afrikaans-speaking church members. In 1944, the first Reformed congregation for Swazi members was formed, which later became known as the Swaziland Reformed Church. This article documents the history of this church and concludes with a description of the Swaziland Reformed Church in 1985, with four missionaries from South Africa ministering in the four regions of Swaziland.

Keywords

Swaziland; Swaziland Reformed Church

Metrics

Total abstract views: 1977
Total article views: 3203


Crossref Citations

No related citations found.