Original Research - Special Collection: UP Faculty of Theology Centenary Volume One

Partners in history: The Dutch Reformed Church and theological training at the University of Pretoria: 1938–2000

Johan van der Merwe
HTS Teologiese Studies / Theological Studies | Vol 72, No 4 | a3416 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.4102/hts.v72i4.3416 | © 2016 Johan van der Merwe | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 29 March 2016 | Published: 31 August 2016

About the author(s)

Johan van der Merwe, Department of Church History and Church Polity, Faculty of Theology, University of Pretoria, South Africa


Share this article

Bookmark and Share

Abstract

The Faculty of Theology at the University of Pretoria celebrates its centenary in 2017. Theological training at the university started in 1917 when the Nederduitsch Hervormde Kerk van Afrika decided to train its own ministers. In 1937 the Dutch Reformed Church decided to establish a faculty of its own at the university. This led to a faculty with two sections: Section A for the Nederduitsch Hervormde Kerk and Section B for the Dutch Reformed Church. This was the situation until 2000 when the two faculties merged to become one. Although theological training by the Dutch Reformed Church only started in 1938, their faculty, Section B was an important partner through the 100 years of theological training. This article gives a chronology of the history of the Faculty of Theology Section B as partner in the history of theological training at the University of Pretoria.

Keywords

Dutch Reformed Church; Theological training; University of Pretoria; 1938; 2000; Faculty of Theology; Section B

Metrics

Total abstract views: 1075
Total article views: 1477


Crossref Citations

No related citations found.