Original Research

Die Departement Godsdiens- en Sendingwetenskap (Afd A), Universiteit van Pretoria, 1917-1978

P. J. van der Merwe, D. Crafford
HTS Teologiese Studies / Theological Studies | Vol 48, No 1/2 | a2402 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.4102/hts.v48i1/2.2402 | © 1992 P. J. van der Merwe, D. Crafford | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 09 January 1992 | Published: 09 January 1992

About the author(s)

P. J. van der Merwe, Universiteit van Pretoria, South Africa
D. Crafford, Universiteit van Pretoria, South Africa

Full Text:

PDF (424KB)

Share this article

Bookmark and Share

Abstract

The Department of Science of Religion and Missiology (Sec A), University of Pretoria, 1917-1978
The Transvaal University College began its Faculty of Theology in 1917 in co-operation with the Presbyterian Church and the Nederduitsch Hervormde Kerk. A Presbyterian minister, Prof E MacMillan, lectured from 1917 till 1934. This marked the end of Presbyterian participation. In the next period, 1935-1937, the Department suffered from a controversy between the Nederduitsch Hervormde Kerk and its new partner, the Nederduitsch Hervormde of Gereformeerde Kerk. The issue was solved when the Faculty divided into two sections, Section A for the Nederduitsch Hervormde Kerk and Section B for the Nederduitsch Hervormde of G ereformeerde Kerk. Prof H P Wolmarans was appointed to the chair of Science of Religion (Sec A) in 1938 and served as head of the Department till 1959. He was succeeded by Prof F J van Zyl in 1960, who served till 1978.

Keywords

No related keywords in the metadata.

Metrics

Total abstract views: 985
Total article views: 935


Crossref Citations

No related citations found.